
The interim government on Saturday strongly condemned the attack on Gono Odhikar Parishad president Nurul Haque Nur in the capital on Friday.
Citing Nur as a prominent leader of the July uprising and a tireless advocate of democracy, justice, and rights of the people, the government in a statement said that such acts of violence were an assault not only on Nur but also on the spirit of the democratic movement.
The government assured that a thorough and impartial investigation would be  conducted into this heinous incident with the utmost urgency.
‘No individual, regardless of influence or position, will be spared from accountability. Justice will be delivered transparently and swiftly,’ it said.
Meanwhile, the interim government on Saturday decided to conduct a judicial inquiry into the attack on Nur and other party leaders.
The decision was taken at a high-level meeting with chief adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus in the chair at the state guest house Jamuna in the capital.
The meeting was attended by senior officials, including national security adviser Khalilur Rahman and special assistant to chief adviser for home affairs Khoda Box Chowdhury.
Following the meeting, the chief adviser’s press secretary Shafiqul Alam at a briefing said that the inquiry would be led by a High Court judge to guarantee impartiality.
More than 50 leaders and activists of Gono Odhikar Parishad were injured when a clash broke out between activists of the Jatiya Party and the Gano Odhikar Parishad in front of the JP central office at Bijoynagar in Dhaka on Friday evening.
At one stage, law enforcers charged baton on Nur and others of his party, when he suffered serious head-injuries.
However, the government statement said that a specialist medical board had been formed to oversee the treatment of Nur, also former Dhaka University Central Students’ Union vice-president, and other injured party members with the highest standard of care.
The government pledged to send them abroad for advanced treatment at state expense, if necessary, expressing that the nation’s prayers and solidarity were with Nur, the injured, and their families during this critical time.
The government in the statement said that Nur played a key role in the 2018 anti-quota protests against the fascist regime of Sheikh Hasina and in the July uprising by mobilising youth and standing against injustices.
Despite being arrested and tortured, his actions symbolised the nation’s struggle for a free, fair, and democratic Bangladesh, leaving a lasting legacy of courage and sacrifice, the statement read.
The interim government called for unity among all the political and social forces that had taken part in the July uprising, saying that such unity was essential to protect the gains of the uprising, resist all conspiracies against the people’s mandate, and ensure a successful transition to democracy.
The government reaffirmed in the strongest terms that the national election would be held on time -- in the first half of February 2026 -- describing it as the Interim government’s solemn commitment to the people of Bangladesh.
The government further stated that all conspiracies, obstructions, or attempts to delay or derail the election would firmly be resisted by the government and the nation’s democracy-loving citizens, adding that the people’s will would prevail, with no force allowed to undermine the country’s march towards democracy.
According to Dhaka Medical College Hospital Director Brigadier General Md Assaduzzaman, Nur suffered a head injury and nasal fracture causing heavy bleeding.
His condition was still critical and doctors would continue to monitor him for the next 48 hours, the DMCH DG told ¶¶Òõ¾«Æ· on Saturday afternoon.